Sunday, May 27, 2007

Profiling The Bengals (Or "Oops")

On Wednesday of last week Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis appeared on Dan Patrick's ESPN radio show. Asked by Patrick if a traffic stop of Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry for not signaling while turning was an indication of profiling, Lewis responded, "I think there's profiling, no question. [Cincinnati] is a small place, our guys stand out, and they know that and you've got to do things the right way, but when you are arrested for, or you are pulled over for not putting on your turn signal, there's something wrong there. Many people make right turns without putting on their turn signals and that's unfortunate that we've had a guy that's pulled over for not putting on his turn signal."

Lewis the next day: "Yesterday, I gave a radio interview and made some comments that did not illustrate the high regard I have for the Cincinnati Police Department. I apologize that what I said did not reflect my true feelings." "I have spoken with [Cincinnati police chief] Tom [Streicher] to express my regret. I do not believe the Cincinnati Police Department is specifically profiling our players." "At no point did I say or mean to imply that these issues had anything to do with race. Broadcast comments to the contrary are simply not true. When I spoke of our players being perhaps more subject to scrutiny than others, I was referring to their standing as public figures."

Oops, I did not mean what I said and explained in detail. Yeah, right.

No comments: