Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Historical Event At Morehouse

Joshua Packwood is this year's valedictorian at Morehouse College, "the country's only institution of higher education dedicated to the education of black men." Packwood, the first white valedictorian in the school's 141-year history, was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship and will be working at Goldman Sachs in New York.

Packwood's comment on attending Morehouse when he could have gone to an Ivy League school: "I've been forced to see the world in a different perspective that I don't think I could've gotten anywwhere else. None of the Ivies, no matter how large their enrolment is, no matter how many Nobel lauerates they have on their faculty . . . none of them could've provided me with the perspective I have now."

One of Packwood's Morehouse colleagues remarked, "You don't see skin color with him anymore. You start looking more at his character."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Juan over at Highbrid Nation put me on to thewhite valedictorian of Morehouse story. Seems like a lot of people are upset. Lol, some people didn't even know white people were allowed to attend Morehouse. Honestly my opinion is that this is good for race relations. If us black people wanted to be fully embraced in American culture, we have to fully embrace the rest of America in ours.